I am one of the vanishingly rare Atlanta natives… all the way back to the Indians on my mother's side. I was a "lifer" (K-12) at Woodward Academy, am a Georgia Tech graduate, and spent most of my career in telecommunications and venture capital before entering academia in 2005. I have a brilliant and beautiful grown daughter who is married and practicing law in Marietta, I'm married to the most wonderful woman on Earth, and am basically an incredibly lucky person.
- Eddie's Attic instead of Philips Arena,
- Chastain instead of Lakewood,
- Turner Field instead of the Georgia Dome,
- steak instead of sushi,
- Greece instead of Rome,
- St. Maarten instead of St. Thomas,
- Daffy Duck instead of Donald Duck,
- Sean Connery instead of any Bond pretenders,
- Katharine Hepburn instead of Pamela Anderson,
- Fawlty Towers instead of ESPN,
- Robert E. Lee instead of Ulysses S. Grant,
- khakis instead of suits,
- Macintoshes instead of PCs,
- Subarus instead of Lexuses (Lexi?),
- Peachtree Road instead of Highway 400, and
- books instead of TV.
I believe that the U.S. government went into decline starting in 1913 with the ratification of the 16th and 17th amendments.
My picture is hanging on the men's room wall at the Silver Skillet.
There ought to be something in all that to start a discussion! Email me at eman.gnimelfnull@nehpets.